The Kansas City Star is looking for an experienced high-energy, self-starting reporter to cover development, growth and business in the Kansas City area.
Our readers want to know about the big developments near their homes, as well as the big office buildings, apartment complexes and entertainment venues downtown. A part of that coverage will include questions about tax incentives and other breaks offered by the government, and whether they are worth the taxpayer dollars being spent. This reporter will cover both private and public development with a strong focus on accountability.
This beat also will have a focus on housing – its rising costs and the challenges finding affordable housing. The Kansas City real estate market is a vibrant one, but the working class is increasingly finding itself priced out of many neighborhoods.
The ideal candidate will have an understanding of how businesses both large and small work, although we don’t aim to tell traditional business stories. We are looking for stories about large employers, but also stories about individuals who are making a difference or trying something new, as well as trends that show how the business world is changing.
The environmental and climate change impacts of development, growth and business will also be a focus for this reporter. Are private developers and government bodies making the city more resilient to withstand more frequent extreme weather events and other impacts of climate change? How is the city’s infrastructure adapting or not adapting to protect residents from environmental challenges? Are local businesses conducting themselves responsibly as it relates to climate issues?
The successful candidate will be able to dissect the complexities of all these topics and regularly write reader-focused, high-interest stories that hold the powerful accountable and illuminate voices that are too often marginalized.
The position will demand a keen eye for sharp news angles, strong source-building skills and a proven track record for finding scoops and producing revelatory, high-impact journalism.
We are looking for candidates with strong interpersonal skills who can collaborate with editors, reporters and other staff members. This reporter will work closely with editors and our audience development team to make sure we are reaching readers who have shown a thirst for this coverage.
What you’ll bring:
- Strong writing skills and excellent news judgment.
- An unwavering commitment to accurate, ethical journalism.
- Expert-level understanding of public records laws and how to use them.
- Ability to acquire and analyze data.
- A collaborator who works well as part of a team.
- A self-starter who will develop a strong network of sources to find and pursue stories that will reach a broad audience.
- An interest in telling stories using a variety of media, and an enthusiasm for learning new skills and technologies.
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including an understanding of metrics/analytics and an understanding of SEO and other audience optimization tactics.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism.
- Ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped constantly by feedback and experimentation and always evolving.
For further details click here.