The Ithaca Voice is a leader in local independent news, and we are seeking a full-time general assignment reporter who will bring a sharp eye toward covering breaking news and help with daily coverage of news and events from in and around Ithaca, New York.
The general assignment reporter should have a strong knowledge of current local affairs and an ear to the community. We welcome a candidate who can bring a fresh perspective to our team, along with a strong work ethic and commitment to free local journalism.
The candidate must possess a traditional reporting skill set, be knowledgeable of AP style, be dedicated to accurate and timely reporting, have knowledge of and a genuine interest in the Ithaca and Tompkins County community.
The ideal candidate:
- Can write daily news stories on a range of subject areas including crime, courts and criminal justice to local government and features.
- Is comfortable taking and editing photos for stories.
- Can generate story ideas for daily stories as well as long-form features and investigative stories.
- Can produce data-driven stories and is comfortable covering stories involving budgets and other quantitative data sets. Experience with data visualization is a plus.
- Lives in or is willing to relocate to Tompkins County.
The candidate must possess the following core competencies:
- News judgment
- Civic and cultural literacy
- Data visualization
- Interviewing finesse
- Command of language
- Ability to process information
- Expressing ideas through written communication
- An understanding of The Ithaca Voice’s mission
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of two years of relevant experience is preferred or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
- A demonstrated passion and talent for reporting breaking news as it occurs and getting the story right.
- A strong grasp of AP style.
- Strong familiarity with journalistic ethics and libel law and a focus on adhering to the best practices of journalism.
- Ability to conceive of and foster nontraditional storytelling.
- Prior experience publishing and formatting stories with content management systems, including WordPress and social media platforms (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter).
- Experience and knowledge of local politics and government is preferred but not required.
Salary: $35,000 to $40,000
How to Apply:
To submit your application, please supply your resume and examples of your work to Managing Editor, Matt Butler at email@example.com. Please include a cover letter detailing your vision for this position and how you would approach the work. We can’t wait to hear from you.
For further details click here.