The Information was founded in late 2013 with a simple idea: write deeply reported articles about the technology industry that you won’t find elsewhere. Since then, we’ve become a disruptor in business news that’s moved markets, gotten the early scoop on billions of dollars of acquisitions, and told you what’s happening inside companies like Apple, Meta and Google. As a subscription-only publication, we aim high and take on challenging stories and adhere to the highest of journalistic standards. What we put into the work is just as in-depth as our output. We’ve attracted tens of thousands of paying subscribers who look to us for breaking news stories and impactful features. As we look to expand our coverage in alignment with the needs of our subscribers, we continue to invest aggressively in our team.
Wall Street and Silicon Valley have never been more tightly intertwined, and their relationship has never been more important. The Information is building a Finance section that will give its readers a commanding and authoritative mix of scoops and insight that spans both coasts, fueled by inside information from the most important players in finance.
We are looking for someone who is excited about helping build an all-star team that will deliver big scoops and offer best-in-class insight and analysis. The possibilities for this team are endless, and we’re just getting started.
We are seeking a reporter to play a keystone role on this new team. The reporter will be well-sourced on Wall Street, eager to land impactful scoops and always on the cutting edge of what’s happening in finance and business. This position is a chance to take big swings and hit home runs, writing definitive and authoritative stories on some of the most important topics to our readers. This person will also be involved in shaping our coverage and mentoring our next generation of up-and-coming star reporters. The exact areas of finance this reporter covers could vary based on a candidate’s interest and expertise.
High-caliber reporters are the lifeblood of our business, and we firmly believe in rewarding those reporters’ performance. Our audience is full of influential, smart people – you’ll find that many of your sources are regular readers of The Information. We don’t have story or click quotas. We don’t play whack-a-mole with breaking news. We don’t have editors trying to reverse-engineer SEO. We don’t have a million editing layers and a bunch of red tape.
We just do really good reporting. If that’s your thing, we hope you’ll join us. This position reports to our finance editor, Nate Becker.
We’ll trust you to:
- Keep and cultivate relationships with trusted sources on Wall Street and throughout the finance world
- Deliver and help triangulate scoops on deals and finance broadly
- Produce deeply reported features and profiles covering the biggest ideas and people in finance
- Contribute to a great, welcoming team culture with high standards of journalism
To be successful in this role, you’ll need:
- Several years as a high-caliber finance or business reporter with a track record of delivering scoops and bigger-picture stories
- A high metabolism for news – this isn’t a “write one story every few months” type of role
- An inner compass that pulls you to be a leader
- A sense of duty to the next generation of journalists
- The emotional intelligence to be a great teammate and person
- The desire to be constantly learning and growing
To apply, go here.