To provide top-quality live news images and eye-catching composites to draw readers to our articles, as well as working with our production team to ensure our Daily Edition has the best possible imagery.
The Independent’s picture desk plays a crucial role in the award-winning editorial team, giving our readers high-quality coverage across news, opinion, culture, lifestyle and more, on the website and as part of our Premium and Daily Edition subscription packages.
The Independent is looking for a picture editor who will be responsible for leading the smooth running of picture operations across Independent platforms.
The applicant needs to have a passion for all forms of photojournalism, adept at using Adobe Photoshop to edit images and will bring a proactive energy to the picture desk.
They must have experience of working on a live picture desk and knowledge of copyright laws.
Skills and experience:
- Must have worked on a live picture desk with experience of web publishing and using image databases
- Excellent communication – across all departments, as well as external contacts
- Understand current affairs, as well as longer form feature content
- High attention to detail
- A proactive approach to work – to help ensure department is running as efficiently as possible
- Resourceful and creative – able to identify the very best imagery using a variety of sources
- Has an ability to work autonomously with minimal supervision
- Knowledge of Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator – ability to design a variety of visual content for online, the daily edition and social media
- Able to add metadata to images
- Understanding of agency-editorial contracts, usage rights, permissions and copyright
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- Lead on pictures across the newsroom
- Work across several platforms to supply visual content as needed
- Able to prioritise tasks in a fast-paced and changing environment
- Proactively carrying out picture research, as well as controlling workflows
- Monitoring picture feeds – highlighting breaking news and other relevant images to department heads
- Produce/pitch engaging and original picture stories
- Ensure that all content is of the highest possible standard and adheres to house-brand requirements, with an awareness of the readers’ point of view
- Answer any copyright-related queries with confidence
- Working with a tight budget to ensure resources are used efficiently
- Able to train other staff on content systems where required
- Candidate will be expected to work 40 hours per week (not including breaks) including some weekends and different shift times
We have an international editorial team with our main offices in London and New York.
Closing date: 25 August 2023
For further details click here.