The Fresno Bee is seeking a creative, collaborative senior editor to lead a talented team of journalists to reach an ever-growing and increasingly diverse audience of readers, viewers and listeners in Fresno, California.
A proven track record of continuous experimentation is a must. The successful candidate will be an innovative news leader who can draw the best work from our reporters, editors and visual journalists and drive newsroom collaboration. This person must have newsroom leadership experience and be prepared to bring and implement fresh ideas about how to serve an audience that is diverse and dynamic.
This editor will play an integral role in leading the newsroom’s mission to deliver accountability journalism, solutions-focused stories, high-utility news and information, and breaking news coverage that is first and best on the most important issues to our region and state.
As senior editor, you will ensure that The Fresno Bee’s journalists produce unique, audience-focused coverage consistent with McClatchy’s longstanding mission of independent, essential local news that serves the public. We are seeking an accomplished leader with strong communication skills who can move quickly and creatively to drive engagement at all levels of the organization. The editor in this position should be eager to collaborate with colleagues throughout the organization and across McClatchy’s California newsrooms.
A key requirement of the senior editor role is to serve as the face of the newsroom in the community, including developing relationships and building community support to bolster the organization’s place within a competitive and collaborative news ecosystem.
This position requires a command of audience analytics and knowledge of the tactics that deliver results, as well as a desire to experiment with purpose, iterate and adjust as the news environment dictates.
- The proven ability to lead, inspire, and convey knowledge to others and to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues in managing change.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and a superior ear for tone.
- Skill and versatility as an editor and a writer, including the ability to shape everything from breaking news briefs to longform pieces in a way that best serves and engages our audiences.
- Excellent news judgment and a demonstrated ability to “see the story” that is going to matter to readers and to anticipate reader interests.
- The ability to articulate and reinforce standards for ethics and professional conduct as well as journalistic excellence.
- A focus on ensuring that our journalism and our staff represent the fullness of our community and the diversity of the people who live here.
- The ability to solve problems, innovate and adapt in service of the primary goal, which is to produce quality, innovative journalism that reaches and engages readers and subscribers and has an impact.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in journalism
- At least 3 years of experience as a successful leader of a newsroom or a large news team
The anticipated base pay range is between $140,000 and $160,000 annually.
For further information click here.