The Day is looking for a Defense Reporter to join our team! This is a full-time position and is based out of the New London, CT office. Responsibilities include:
- Wide-ranging senior beat involving local, state and national coverage. The Day will continue to be a leader in the coverage of submarines, specifically how they fit into military strategy and defense spending priorities; submarine duty; the changing military; and the retired and active military community.
- Coverage will center on the Groton Naval Submarine Base, the military role of submarines, submarine construction (as it relates to new technology, General Dynamics and the local economy); the U.S. Coast Guard Academy, national museum and local operations; Connecticut National Guard; ports and maritime affairs; and local veterans groups and issues.
- The reporter must develop contacts with military commands and learn about their organization, history and current issues. Contacts and sources include the congressional delegation and their defense aides as well as local, regional and national experts, academics, think tanks, and other non-military organizations that monitor military issues.
- Travel should be expected, as well as background reading and research.
- Bachelor’s degree and two to three years of daily reporting experience.
- Excellent writing, communications and research abilities.
- Experience in digital reporting.
- Ability to meet deadlines and work well with others.
- Driver’s license and use of own vehicle.
For more details click here.