The Daily Gazette family of newspapers is looking for an enterprising and motivated journalist to create digital content to bolster our coverage of the greater Capital Region of New York state.
This full-time position will be responsible for creating fresh, original content from various online sources while also compiling and aggregating existing content from the Gazette reporting staff and archives. The best candidate will be knowledgeable in publishing content across all of our digital platforms including our websites, our new website app, social media channels and newsletters.
The Gazette is an independently owned and operated news outlet committed to strong accountability and community journalism. We’re currently bolstering our digital team in order to capitalize on our great local content, reach new audiences and develop new subscribers.
Responsibilities of the digital producer job include:
- Scanning other news outlets, social media and our print content plans to help with planning, packaging and executing content for our website
- Web optimization of content, including adding links, photos and photo galleries and other digital assets.
- Preparing and sending breaking news emails and app alerts.
- Regularly monitoring web analytics to help inform decisions on what to do (and what not to do) in regard to web content that’s already been produced.
- Convert our print-focused headlines into optimal headlines for the web audience/search engines/social platforms.
- Work closely with reporting and photography staffers to generate multimedia content
- Monitoring all regular and branded content for opportunities to enhance and improve digital performance across the spectrum of our content (including news, opinion, lifestyles, special sections).
- Help in longer-term planning for more extensive digital content including photo essays, business profiles, restaurant guides etc.
- Three years of experience in content production and/or website management experience is preferred.
- Familiarity with newspaper content management systems, social media analytics tools, search-optimization techniques.
- Some news-writing background and familiarity with basic journalistic standards including Associated Press style and basic rules of content citation for outside content.
- Creatively develop unique content, event coverage, and project ideas for web, mobile and social media. Knowledge and experience with graphic design software a plus.
- Sharp news judgment.
- A deep understanding of the value of local content in driving reader engagement and web traffic.
- Ability and comfort in a fast-paced team environment.
- Comfort with managing short-term tasks and projects along with longer-term work.
- Willingness and ability to stop on a dime and pivot in an entirely new direction when necessary.
To apply, candidates should send a brief letter (in the body of the email is fine) along with some examples/samples of your work to Gazette Editor Miles Reed at Reed@dailygazette.com.
For further details click here.