The Enquirer prioritizes journalism with impact, through watchdog and accountability reporting, and this role is essential to those efforts. The Enterprise & Investigations Editor is a senior position in our newsroom, leading a team of reporters on enterprise-rich beats as well as working on investigations across the newsroom and with other Gannett news organizations in Ohio. Because of that, creativity, resourcefulness, flexibility and a penchant for collaboration are key attributes for the person who will fill this position. The ideal candidate has a background in public service journalism and experience with data analysis, records requests, source development and media law. As part of the Enquirer’s leadership team, you will support key strategic audience and subscriber growth initiatives.
- Lead, coach and edit a team of reporters who produce both quick-turn accountability and explanatory stories and longer-term narratives and investigations.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors on other teams to develop and execute investigations and data-driven stories.
- Identify investigative and enterprising angles on daily news stories.
- Advocate use of data and public records among peers and put in place systems to foster such use.
- Use analytics to pinpoint stories of high interest to our various audiences.
- Prioritize and develop content that supports The Enquirer’s digital subscription growth efforts.
- Stay on top of new tools and trends in data reporting.
- Foster a culture of teamwork and prioritizing work-life balance.
- Be courageous about experimentation.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or equivalent in experience and education.
- 10 years journalism experience, with 5 years editing experience preferred.
- Solid news judgment.
- Attention to detail and a fierce commitment to accuracy and fairness.
- Top-notch planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Understanding of metrics, social media and SEO.
- Command of AP Style, media law and principles of ethical conduct.
- Self-motivation and self-direction.
- Ability to multi-task and excel under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing environment.
- Employment is contingent on passing a preemployment, post-offer background check.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done.
To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following:
- A brief cover letter that outlines your interest in the position and how you would approach the job.
- Your updated resume – one to two pages.
- A portfolio/clips/links to a few samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in this role.
If you feel like you don’t check every box above or have skills and experience we didn’t include here, we encourage you to apply and tell us about yourself.
For more information click here.