The Center Square is seeking a highly motivated, experienced reporter to lead our taxpayer-focused coverage of issues in the Spokane region and eastern Washington state.
The ideal candidate is a passionate, ethical journalist and hands-on professional who will participate in the team’s planning processes, ensuring its short- and long-term execution, and lead our efforts to report on, curate and share the region’s most relevant daily and enterprise news content across multiple platforms.
The preferred location for this position is in the Spokane area. However, the Center Square will consider candidates based elsewhere in Washington who can occasionally travel to Spokane.
- Report on government activity in Spokane and the region with taxpayers front of mind, monitor government activity and policy developments that affect the region, and use public records and databases to ferret out waste,
- Work with Washington state team to build a dynamic daily news report that would be of interest to newspapers and other media outlets in the state.
- Promote The Center Square stories to local and regional media partners in the states
- Cultivate trusted sources to provide leads on potential stories, including those inside and outside government, think tanks, academia, unions and the business community
- Monitor the state media landscape to identify popular topics and potential media partners
- 2-3 years of journalism experience, including reporting in print and web
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- Passionate about The Center Square’s mission
- Background in journalism or journalistic functions
- Strong written, investigative, editing and verbal communication skills
- Familiarity with government policy issues
- Ability to uncover original stories and break them
- Entrepreneurial approach and ability to work independently
- Excellent, proactive communicator
- Demonstrated understanding of planning and budgeting processes
- Ability to travel on an as-needed basis, including regionally when called upon
- Strong commitment to the principles of personal responsibility and free enterprise
Salary: $50,000 to $55,000
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume and writing samples to Dan McCaleb, executive editor, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
There is no application deadline for this position. Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. This job will remain posted until it is filled.
For more details click here.