Reporting to the Editor, reporters execute stories that break new ground in service to our community. Reporters find and analyze data in pursuit of great stories, closely follow evolving policies, and dig deep to hold government and institutions accountable. Reporters seek out everyday people and advocacy groups and explore their challenges and experiences with systems. Reporters are writers who can craft narratives that weave human experience with policy and data. As a Reporter, you will join a team of committed professionals with the goal of creating a sustainable, non-profit news organization that engages the public, collaborates with other media, and produces the highest level of accountability and solutions-driven journalism in Kansas and Missouri.
- Investigate, report and write longform, shorter-turn stories and helpful guides about local and regional issues with the audience in mind
- As assigned, develop and serve a dedicated beat and investigate new leads and tips
- Find and analyze data to uncover unique insights and put them into context
- Contact, interview and research sources
- Maintain notes and audio recordings
- Build broad and diverse relationships so that sources, story ideas, research and writing reflect the many communities living in Kansas City and Wichita
- Take on visual and multimedia aspects of stories such as creating graphics and other visuals, planning, scheduling and selecting photographs, and writing social media copy
- Promote your reporting and increase The Beacon’s visibility in the community through activities such as public events, speaking engagements, radio and podcast appearances, and live video.
- Use sources, story ideas, research and writing that reflects Kansas City and/or Wichita’s diversity and the difference in lived experiences
- Abide by journalism’s ethics and codes
- Contribute data needed for key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Ensure actions fully embody core values of diversity, equity, and inclusion, and incorporate DEIB best practices
- Participate in a culture of collaboration, quality, innovation, data-driven decision-making and intelligent use of resources
- Contribute to other news products including, for example, social media, audio stories, printed projects and text message campaigns
- Other related duties, as assigned
Qualifications and Education Requirements:
- Professional reporting training and/or experience preferred
- Demonstrable writing skill with ability to report complex issues with simplified, accessible language
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills – written and verbal
- Computer proficiency (Google Suite, digital editing, web search, databases, public records)
- Passion for local accountability journalism and independent media
- Highly organized with excellent time and project management skills
- Resourceful, proactive, self-motivated with a strong sense of ownership and accountability
- Trustworthy, organized, results-driven, self-starter, inclusive, transparent and collaborative
- Comfortable within a highly flexible, entrepreneurial culture; comfort working under deadlines and collaboratively in a hybrid work environment with colleagues in geographically dispersed locations
Other valuable experience and skills:
- Bilingual skills and cross-cultural competence, or experience in a marginalized community
- Experience with Freedom of Information Act requests
- Additional skills we’re looking for: Data reporting and data visualization, audio journalism, broadcast and photography
You may see a list of job requirements and feel that you do not have the exact combination of skills listed here, but are still interested in this role, we suggest you apply anyway. Please tell us about your other assets not mentioned here that may be valuable to this role.
Salary: $45,000 + with competitive benefits package
For more details click here.