The Austin Chronicle seeks a full-time, experienced News Editor to run our coverage of city and state news and politics. The ideal candidate will be ready to lead the news section as it transitions into a more agile digital-first publication, while strategizing around a redesign of the print product that makes reading it a unique, visually-focused experience. This is an Austin-based (not remote) position.
The News Editor oversees the News department’s coverage of local issues, assigning, editing, and writing stories on topics including (but not limited to) City Hall and statehouse politics, housing and land-use, education, abortion rights, voting rights, the environment, social justice, transportation, and public safety. Duties include crafting the weekly storylist for print; ensuring 5-7 online-only news blogs are published every week; assigning and editing stories; leading breaking news coverage online; managing the news staff and freelance reporters; and engaging with the community, organizations, and public figures.
The ideal candidate:
- is passionate about community journalism
- is adept as an editor, writer, and project manager
- comes already armed with a thorough understanding of Austin issues and politics or the City Hall beat of a similarly-sized city
- is eager to recruit and mentor the next generation of reporting talent
- is an enthusiastic collaborator, working with reporters to generate leads, develop stories, and edit copy collaboratively
- moves easily between the macro (meeting daily and weekly deadlines, managing a long-range storylist) and the micro (detail-oriented, meticulous about getting the facts right)
- has at least 2 years’ experience editing news; 3-5 years experience as a news reporter
We are especially interested in bilingual journalists with the ability to speak, write, and edit fluently in Spanish and English.
Ability to commute/relocate: Austin, TX 78751: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Experience: Journalism (Required)
Qualified applicants should send cover letter, résumé, references, and three published news clips demonstrating the candidate’s experience and expertise in news writing to email@example.com, subject: “News Editor.”
Applications accepted through March 31.
Pay: $50,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
For further details click here.