The Austin American-Statesman/statesman.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is looking for a full-time reporter to cover all aspects of higher education in Texas– from the University of Texas at Austin and the state’s university systems, to community colleges, private postsecondary schools, student life and state education policies and finances.
Coverage should have a distinct consumer focus, tracking issues of high interest to students, parents and employees whose lives intersect with these institutions. We expect aggressive, exclusive and topical reporting, smart coverage of the news and policy issues and a watchdog sensibility. The goal is to satisfy existing audiences and reach new ones by providing a wide array of stories on a beat that too easily can be driven by bureaucratic developments.
The University of Texas, which often makes it to the top of countless lists for best schools, has a student enrollment of more than 50,000 in a city with rising living costs and scant affordable housing options.
The reporter will be expected to produce quick-turn stories, capitalize on trending news, and develop enterprise and longer-term projects.
- Creates coverage that accurately informs, engages and entertains specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Provides thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Serve as a public ambassador for our brand through connecting with the community via social media, on camera, in forums, community leadership, etc.
- Works with content strategist to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates with content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e.photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Promotes personal brand, the brands of colleagues and the institutional brand.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Attend relevant meetings, forums, gatherings, interviews and other events in person to cover the news.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3-5 years’ reporting/newsroom experience. Previous experience covering higher education is a plus.
- Familiarity with Texas is a big plus.
- Adept at taking photos and video and will file quickly across platforms: mobile, desktop and social media.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Is passionate and enthusiastic about news and content that will work well with audiences on social platforms.
- Comfortable in fluid, fast-breaking, stressful situations.
- A desire to grow and develop a key beat in our newsrooms.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Reddit.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Work hours may occasionally include nights and weekends.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check, motor vehicle record check and drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’tlimit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For more information click here.