The Athletic is seeking a North America-based soccer staff writer to work with some of the best sports writers in the world and a talented team of editors to produce compelling, insightful, ground-breaking journalism. This is a full-time position.
The right candidate will have experience reporting on the world of American soccer, especially within the world of Major League Soccer and the USMNT. A demonstrated ability to break news is preferred, but a willingness to collaborate with editors and writers across the company is a must. The right candidate should also be comfortable writing features and explainers that break down major events in American soccer for a broad audience. Proficiency in a language other than English is a plus. Some night and weekend work will be required.
- Reporting and writing multiple stories per week about American soccer
- Collaborating with other soccer writers in the U.S. and abroad to break news and contextualize big stories
- File clean copy and meet deadlines
- Take on assignments from editors and generate your own story ideas
- Five or more years of experience in sports journalism, and/or a newsroom preferred
- Deep knowledge of American soccer
- An existing network of sources
- Willing to work some evenings and weekends
- This is a full-time, remote position that will require occasional travel
Salary: $52,500 – $70,000 a year
For more information click here.