The Athens Banner-Herald, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a dynamic and digitally savvy journalist to lead our service journalism and trending topics coverage in this northeast Georgia city that is home to the University of Georgia. This person will work to identify, verify and curate news of what Athenians are talking about.
This job requires an understanding of social media platforms, audience metrics and SEO techniques; quick, tight, lively writing; and a competitive mindset determined to see one’s work at the top our pageview charts each day.
This reporter will chase news, politics, business and entertainment stories, as well as features, about topics already trending online or based on online conversations.
It’s a high-volume beat, responsible for two to three short posts most weekdays. But doing the job well requires much more than curation. This reporter is expected to pitch a handful of high-audience-potential ideas each morning, add smart context, seek out appropriate multimedia and do original reporting to add value to a reader’s experience. The job also requires writing inviting headlines and social language to lure the biggest possible audience.
This reporter is also expected to have the range to handle breaking news coverage and quick-turn enterprise.
Previous experience as a reporter or content producer and video editing skills are a plus.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics. Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Collaborates with the content team to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e. photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Explores and reports on the widest range of news and trends, connecting with our audience’s passion.
- Content strategies include print, branded digital platforms, traditional and emerging social media, events, apps and curation of contributed and expert content.
- Demonstrates clear concise writing skills with strong nut graphs and “why this is important to me” content.
- Bachelor’s or master’s in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong command of AP grammar and style.
- Strong copy-editing skills and the ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and “publication ready.”
- Is comfortable using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and other social platforms to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understands reporting ethics and sourcing.
- Excels in a fast-paced news environment and understands the digital-first mission.
- Collaborates well with others and can work with a team on the biggest stories.
- Must be willing to travel on short notice, to cover breaking news events.
- Work weekends and nights when there is major breaking news.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
- Your resume – one to two pages.
- A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
- Links to 3-6 online samples of your work or online portfolio. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
For further information click here.