The Associated Press seeks an innovative editor with proven news judgement to shepherd our audience curators and producers in shaping the AP’s digital identity. The news editor for curation will determine what content we showcase on our digital platforms, and how. In this role, you’ll work closely with the global beats, U.S. News and Washington teams, international regions and Products teams to program and curate the daily and long-term news agenda for APNews.
- Based in New York, Washington, D.C. or Los Angeles, you will report to the deputy director of audience engagement.
- You will manage a team of curators whose primary focus is to elevate the best of AP’s journalism to digital audiences through smart curation of our site, social and app.
- Working with the Products team, you also will help shepherd new design sprints to create digital storytelling tools that will further the site’s abilities to narratively enhance story engagement.
- You and your team will also work with colleagues in photos, video, audio and interactives to find opportunities to craft well-designed presentations and context-informative modules.
- We’re looking for a collaborative journalist who understands the digital media landscape.
- Of course, you’ll have a great news sense and know how to highlight the stories people want to share and talk about.
- But you’re also an editor who understands the value of data, and you know how to balance insight and instinct to achieve key KPIs.
This is a position that calls for someone who is calm under pressure and comfortable altering the best-laid plans when news dictates. You have the editorial ingenuity to identify angles that will resonate with a digital audience and can offer high-level editing guidance to ensure we are creating that content.
You are also a capable administrator who can keep your team’s workload manageable and the projects running on time. As an AP journalist, you should also be able and willing to work at night and on weekends as coverage and breaking news demand.
To achieve these goals, you are adept at:
- Evaluating, and acting on, traffic trends on both daily content needs and, in concert with the team, longer-term content curation that will grow digital audiences.
- Prioritizing packaging content that grows pages per session and time-on-site and using smart headlines to guide readers further into the site.
- Coordinating with journalists in different formats and time zones to design engaging story presentations that draw on the strengths of each format.
- Implementing an iterative design process to produce digital storytelling tools.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, such as at least one year of full-time work as an editor, reporter or social media producer at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet or AP bureau.
- All applicants must be able to work in the United States or be able to gain permission to do so.
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English. Professional competency in a language besides English is a plus.
The anticipated salary range for this position is $90,000 – $120,000, DOE
Application Deadline: April 14, 2023 @ 11:59 PM ET
For more information click here.