The Associated Press seeks an enterprising reporter with a proven track record of covering health or medicine to join our Health & Science team as a biotech reporter based in any U.S. city with an AP bureau. We’re looking for someone who can find stories that will captivate and resonate with a general news audience about trends and developments in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries, from the search for new treatments to access to those treatments once they have been authorized.
- Reporting to the Health & Science Editor, you will join AP’s Health & Science team, working with AP journalists and editors across the world to develop stories that break news, have impact and are exclusive to AP
- Your primary roles will include finding, reporting and writing stories about drug development, production and sales, and you will develop those stories with colleagues working in other formats
- Your work will serve a digital-first audience, with the goal of helping readers gain a deeper understanding about how medicines and other treatments are discovered, developed, marketed, sold and used
- You can turn complex and dense subjects into gripping, readable and relatable stories for a general news audience
- You are an excellent reporter and writer with a history of finding and telling compelling, evidence-based, rigorously reported stories about health or medicine
- We’re looking for someone who has a great news sense and the ability to communicate and drive stories that people will want to share, like and talk about on social media and other platforms
- You’re eager to pursue innovative and inclusive coverage techniques while maintaining AP’s standards for integrity and objectivity
- You have the ability to juggle multiple projects across formats and deliver success on complex, challenging story lines
- As an AP journalist, you must be able to and willing to work at night and on weekends as coverage demands
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience, such as at least five years of full-time work as reporter or editor at a daily newspaper, broadcast station, online or digital news outlet or AP bureau
- All applicants must be able to work in the U.S. or be able to gain permission to do so
- Advanced-level professional competency in written and spoken English
The anticipated salary range for this position is $80,714 – $110,000 contingent on experience and other job-related factors
For further information click here.