The State Reporter position at TAI is responsible for contributing consistent, accurate and mission-aligned reporting to TAI’s various news properties. This is a local political reporting position in the state of Michigan. We are looking for a seasoned politics reporter with a good pulse on the ins and outs of Michigan politics, policies, and people. We are especially interested in reporters who concentrate on policies around economics, healthcare, and infrastructure, making these issue areas accessible to a wide audience. Working closely with editorial leadership, this reporter should pitch story ideas about state politics as well as be available for and responsive to other assignments as needed. We will prioritize reporters living in Michigan.
- Pitch fresh angles on reported news of the day as related to Michigan politics
- Collaborate with editors and other writers to brainstorm, pitch, and produce originally reported stories.
- Pick up and expand on story pitches from outside sources and as assigned by editors.
- Be able to quickly and cleanly write stories that are accurate, well-sourced and fact-checked.
- Track news developments in real time and share with the editorial team as needed.
- Cultivate a network of sources within American/Michigan politics and progressive issue advocacy.
- Meet daily, monthly, and quarterly deadlines and content output goals.
- Collaborate with other team members as needed.
- 4+ years of experience in journalism, reporting, writing or other related field or a B.S. or B.A. in journalism.
- Exceptional writing skills.
- Excellent understanding of national politics, local politics, and campaigns at both the federal and the state level with an emphasis on economics, health care, and infrastructure in Michigan.
- Established sources and experience reporting on Michigan politics
- Ability to travel across the state to cover stories all over Michigan
- Solid news judgment.
- Communicative, engaged, and eager to take initiative.
- Capable of managing multiple priorities simultaneously. Able to adjust priorities and/or story focus quickly as the news shifts.
- Organized, detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with AP style are a major plus.
- Ability to work well with others in a virtual workspace.
SALARY RANGE: $80,000-$85,000
EMPLOYMENT TERM: This is a limited-term position beginning September 2023 through November 2024 with the possibility of extension.
TO APPLY: If interested, please apply online at https://americanindependent.com/jobs/state-reporter-michigan/
For more information click here.