The Advocate/The Times-Picayune is looking for a savvy reporter to lead coverage of the national champion LSU baseball team and help on the LSU football beat for the largest news organization in Louisiana. We want someone who knows how to work a major sports beat to help us maintain our reputation as the go-to destination for LSU fans. We need a reporter who likes to do it all — breaking news, analysis, features and great enterprise stories — in a competitive media market, reaching readers through our websites, newspapers, social media and email newsletters.
- Develop story ideas based on beat reporting or as assigned
- Create relationships with people in the sports community to develop credible sources for future stories
- Quickly post stories online as appropriate and develop them further as needed
- Use social media tools to develop, distribute and enhance stories
- Help plan and execute the presentation of stories in a way that maximizes digital impact
- Regularly review metrics on story performance and develop story ideas based on top-performing content
- Meet all deadlines for projects as requested by editors
- Write stories using proper grammar and following AP style guidelines
- Rework pieces as requested by editors and update pieces as needed for ongoing or developing stories
Job Skills & Qualifications Required:
- A focus on producing accurate and factual stories
- Experience as a reporter
- Knowledge of social media, with a desire to break news and find the most unique story angles on the beat
- Proficiency with computers and other office equipment
For more information click here.