KARE 11, TEGNA’s NBC affiliate in Minneapolis/St. Paul, is searching for an experienced and motivated Assignment Editor to join our team! The ideal candidate has great people skills, excellent news judgement, and thrives on digging for stories, breaking news, and connecting with the community. This person should have a deep knowledge of the Twin Cities, our region’s history, politics, influencers, and culture. The role requires a focus on multi-platform storytelling — broadcast, online and social content.
- Develops and assigns news stories of the day and plans large news event coverage
- Reviews all news releases, monitors police and fire scanners, and checks social media and other local news sources for story ideas
- Makes beat calls to maintain relationships with local agencies like police departments, courts, etc.
- Manages time and logistics to make sure the selected stories are covered efficiently with available staff
- Discovers content using online and social media resources as news researching tools
- Looks for new and innovate ways to deliver information relevant to our viewers wherever they are (e.g. television, website, app, social media)
- Represent KARE 11 in conversations with other media organizations about pool coverage and access issues.
- Coordinate and dispatch the KARE 11 shared news helicopter
- BA/BS in journalism, communications, or related field
- Experience in a local newsroom.
- Sense of urgency with breaking news
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events
- Organizational skills and the ability to work under constant time pressure deadlines
- Strong communication, conflict management, and customer service skills
- Ability to cultivate and develop working relationships with local newsmakers and their staff
- Extensive knowledge of social media, online, mobile, etc. content gathering tools and technologies
- Knowledge of ENPS and Edius a plus
- Ability to write in both broadcast and AP style a plus.
- Flexible with shift assignments
- Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
- Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
- Physical Demands Set: Sedentary work: Involves sitting most of the time; walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.
For more details click here.