Technically Media, a digital media company best known for publishing Technical.ly, a news organization with a community of technology professionals, is hiring an Editor. We’re seeking a detail- and community-orientated creative professional interested in managing a team, editing a mix of stories, and growing how we connect and engage our community of technologists, entrepreneurs and their supporters.
You’ll be one of two editors reporting to an Editorial Director and overseeing two full-time reporters. Your top-level goal: Contribute to informing and engaging our community that uses us for professional development, career navigation and civic engagement. The primary way our newsroom pursues this goal is by growing an active and engaging email newsletter.
Your job is to help us grow a community and produce high-quality journalism for technology professionals navigating careers and communities, particularly in software. You’ll support two reporters, editing a mix of daily items, features and long-term journalism projects. You’ll oversee a team that’s active daily on Slack, delivering newsletters that mix engagement and perspective, while working to be the best-sourced reporters on their beat.
We are a close-knit diverse team of 15 employees, supported by several devoted contractors. This role reports directly to the Editorial Director and helps to oversee our Editorial team, including a Managing Editor and five reporters based in Philadelphia, Baltimore, DC, Delaware and Pittsburgh.
The ideal candidate has experience in and a willingness to experiment with new media and is interested in supporting and learning from a community journalism enterprise. Our newsroom pledges to be accurate, relevant and productive for the communities we serve. Plus, as a small, growing news media startup, we’re probably more fun than your traditional editorial role.
Presently Technical.ly is published in five local markets, with an additional network-wide site, a weekly newsletter project in Milwaukee, and frequent pop-ups and perspectives from other local tech ecosystems. We aim to publish 2-3 items per market, per day, including sponsored and marketing content, and one network-wide item; that’s 20-25 items across the network per day, edited by you and our Managing Editor, with support from our Editorial Director.
NOTE: This position is remote but we prefer the Editor to live in or near Baltimore, DC or Philly. Please apply by emailing your resume and a description of your interest and experience to Technical.ly Managing Editor Julie Zeglen (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Inform and then deploy an overall organizational editorial strategy, including our annual editorial calendar, quarterly series (like the RealLIST) and daily items that inform our readers.
- Support and advise our reporters, who are chiefly responsible for maintaining and growing quality relationships with technologists, entrepreneurs and ecosystem builders.
- Manage and edit two designated Technical.ly markets, including two full-time reporters, the occasional freelance writer and guest commentary.
- Oversee production of daily and weekly newsletters, including newsletter-only items, prompts, and other content to engage readers.
- Provide external support to reporters and the organization by interacting with our community around reader feedback.
- Edit content daily in up to three markets, as well as the occasional audience-focused marketing content, sponsored content, underwritten reporting projects, sponsored email newsletters (all represent “Creative”), employer-branding content (“Talent”) and other products.
- Contribute ideas for new editorial products, like newsletter or editorial calendar series, by working with the Editorial Director and newsroom team.
- Set and pursue quarterly OKRs to drive connections between Technical.ly’s organizational goals and editorial strategies.
- Lead, with others, efforts to grow the Technical.ly Slack and engage the community through newsletters, analytics and social media to grow Technical.ly’s community of technologists and entrepreneurs.
DESIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years of editing experience and at least that in beat reporting or related editorial work. Experience covering technology and business is a plus.
- Experience in newsroom leadership, including editing and managing reporters.
- Obsessive view of AP style, grammatical and syntax standards and the like.
- Experience with community engagement tools and strategies, including email newsletters, social media, Slack and the like.
- Experience building and growing an audience, using analytics and SEO insights.
- Excitement for our mission to make a community better, smarter and more engaged, and a desire to represent it on a national stage. We’re proud of what we do for our communities and are passionate about exploring how we fund our work by serving those very same communities.
- An understanding of online content management systems, and social media applications is required. Experience with WordPress or other open source content management systems is desirable.
If you don’t meet 100% of this role’s qualifications but you’re passionate about our work, you should still seriously consider applying. That’s especially true if you are a woman, person of color or from another underrepresented group. Research shows people who have been underrepresented in newsroom roles often discount their own experience. We won’t.
- Position is salaried.
- Position includes competitive health insurance coverage (we offer a defined contribution that amounts on average to 70% of an individual plan), including primary, vision and dental.
- Position includes bring-your-own-device reimbursement.
- Position includes a 401k plan, which includes a 4% match
- This role is remote flexible.
- Though results matter most and Technically Media prides itself on flexibility, as a guide, this role might expect to work roughly 40-45 hours a week. This role must be available to support breaking news and relevant event production.
- Technically Media offers 10 paid holidays per year, 15 PTO days accrued per year with additional PTO offered progressively, as well as a month of paid parental leave.
- Technically Media additionally closes its offices for the final week of the year to relax and unwind before each new year. This serves as additional paid holiday time.
- This position will be provided with a staff manual that will include other details, including policy, strategy and details like standard company holidays and more.
ABOUT TECHNICALLY MEDIA:
Mission: We convene the smartest people and organizations in industries that matter for local communities to thrive in the future. To do that, we make connections with journalism, events and services.
Vision: We envision better workplaces that create more equitable communities.
Values: Our team is Welcoming, Challenging and Connective.
Learn more about our team: https://technical.ly/company/technically-media/