TechCrunch is looking for a Senior Writer/Editor who can work with a team of crack editor and writer peers to cover cybersecurity.
This senior reporting role would cover a breadth of cybersecurity topics and news, independently and as a team, from information security to digital privacy, high-profile security incidents, new and undisclosed data breaches, and uncovering emerging defensive and offensive security startups. For this role, you would also plan and work on deep-dive investigations, and do original reporting that breaks new ground and sets the public discourse.
TechCrunch is one of the world’s foremost sources of information on emerging technology. This includes coverage of investment firms, investors, entrepreneurs and startups working to build and develop new technology.
There is also a broad remit for covering news and stories in the tech ecosystem at large. Though many companies we cover begin as ideas, they often grow to become large and important. We are positioned well to continue to cover them as they grow, telling their stories with deep technical understanding and historical context. The person for this role will also be involved in programming and perhaps even moderating at our live virtual and physical events, which draw experts with varying facets of knowledge on a wide range of issues around cybersecurity.
TechCrunch’s mission is to tell the stories behind the stories. As a senior writer covering cybersecurity, you will contribute your voice and leadership skills to this mission. You’ll need to know how to talk to investors, engineers, designers and founders. You’ll use your knowledge and acumen to cut through the noise in order to intelligently inform readers thirsty for understanding what it all means and why it matters in language suitable for human beings.
Top candidates will have the ability to handle multiple stories concurrently and the desire to publish news quickly and accurately in a fast-paced media environment.
TechCrunch often covers stories weeks, months or years ahead of them entering the mainstream consciousness. A strong proactive sensibility and good instincts will serve well in this environment. TechCrunch writers lead coverage areas from the front.
We need someone who:
- Has an obsessive desire to report on cybersecurity, especially as it relates to startups and venture capital
- Has the ability to spot a TechCrunch news story from miles away
- Can write content related to the business side of cybersecurity
- Can write spot news
- Can develop and write features
- Can develop and write analysis pieces
- Can present numbers in unique and varying ways, i.e. via charts, graphs, galleries or things that haven’t even been invented yet
- Can work across a team of editors to devise and shape editorial strategy
- Have several years of experience in journalism
- Have a proven track record of publishing stories that garner attention and make an impact
- Are adept at working with editors to produce well-reported and polished news pieces and features
- Possess knowledge of SEO basics
- Understand the importance of tagging content
- Can write headlines that capture the imagination of readers
- Have the ability to write directly and in human-friendly language without sacrificing accuracy
- Know how to work with fellow writers and editors to develop stories on trends that haven’t even begun to materialize yet
To apply, go here.