The Taos News, an independently owned newspaper in Northern New Mexico, is looking to add an ambitious and talented photojournalist/videographer to its staff.
The candidate selected for this position will have the opportunity to visually document one of the most beautiful and unique communities in the Southwest, home to a generational Spanish population and two Native American pueblos. Outdoor opportunities abound here, with world-renowned ski resorts and some of the best hiking, camping and biking areas in the country.
This is a demanding role, as the Taos News emphasizes photographic excellence across all of its publications, which include the weekly main newspaper and arts and entertainment magazine, as well as 25 special sections published annually. Some photography work for our advertising department will also be required.
Successful candidates will be masters of telling stories in visual form, with the ability to pivot quickly to capture a breaking news story as skillfully as they would shoot photos to illustrate an enterprise piece. The photographer won’t only be skilled at still photography, but will also have the knowledge and ambition to complete videography work for the Taos News in the form of short documentaries published periodically throughout the year.
The photographer will work closely not only with subjects on assignment but also with the other members of our award-winning newsroom staff. Successful candidates will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Shooting, editing and captioning photos in AP style for multiple assignments per week
- Recording and editing 2-3 short documentaries per year
- Ability to adhere to strict deadlines
- Working knowledge of Mac-based operating systems and applications
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Photoshop and Premiere
- Excellent verbal and written communication, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Impeccable journalistic ethics
- At least one year of experience working as staff photographer for a weekly or daily newspaper
Please send your cover letter and samples of your best work to John Miller, editor-in-chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls please.
For more details click here.