Student Press Law Center 2020 spring and summer internships
Attention all, check out this list of upcoming internships – an opportunity you do not want to miss.
Student Press Law Center (Washington, D.C.)
• Journalism Internship — Join our small team with an outsized impact. The Student Press Law Center is seeking accomplished college journalists for paid internships in Washington, D.C. We’re seeking self-starting storytellers to chronicle student media organizations in perilous times, recognize trends in student media and help SPLC expand its audience and impact. Applications due Jan. 31, 2020 for summer 2020.
• Legal Internship — Are you a current law school student interested in defending First Amendment rights? Join the SPLC for the summer and work alongside our attorneys. Duties will include conducting legal research, helping refine legal guides and fact sheets and might include writing law-oriented stories for the SPLC.org website. Past legal interns have drafted amicus briefs and conducted survey research. Applications due Jan. 31, 2020 for summer 2020.
- Summer Internship — Reporting, photo and video interns are wanted for a summer internship at The Colorado Springs Gazette. Reporting interns can write for any news section in the paper and on its online site, depending on needs, interests and skills. An interest in digital news is a plus.
- Summer News Analytics Internship — The American Press Institute is hiring a summer intern to learn about audience engagement and help share the best practices in audience analytics with the wider journalism industry. This person should be a college student or recent graduate with an interest in the news industry and audience engagement analytics, thinking about newsroom social media strategy and learning about how journalists can use analytics to better understand their audiences.
- POLITICO Journalism Institute — An intensive 10-day program running from May 26 to June 5, 2020, for college and graduate students. Students will split time between the Arlington newsroom and American University’s campus. Housing is provided. Many students go on to other internships in the summer at POLITICO or other media outlets.
- Summer Reporting Internship — An intern is needed to serve as a full-time reporter for The Chronicle of Higher Education. There are three rounds of applications for this position, starting with a basic application, followed by a writing test for the top candidates; finalists will conduct a phone interview.
- Spring News Internship — Interns will work on the assignment desk, help coordinate reporters and photographers to their daily assignments, creating content for newscasts and working with social media.
- Spring News Internship — This internship is designed for a student who is interested in gaining an understanding of how a daily newscast is brought to air. Must be able to work 20 hours a week.
- Yearlong Fellowship — Report for America is a national nonprofit that places journalists in local newsrooms in underserved regions of the United States. In 2020, RFA will place 250 journalists in 164 newsrooms across 46 states. Those selected will be notified in April and will begin their yearlong assignment in June. News organizations include 69 daily newspapers, 39 digital-only sites, 39 public radio stations, 12 local TV stations and five non-daily papers. In demand: Spanish speakers and reporters interested in covering climate change, health, business and marginalized communities.
- Pennsylvania Capital Reporters Summer Internship — Two interns are wanted to assist multiple Pennsylvania news outlets with coverage of the Pennsylvania Statehouse. Interns will help cover the state budget and report on committee hearings and other political and policy stories in a fast-paced news environment
- Summer Internship — Interns are needed to work on up to 13 assignments at NBC and MSNBC, ranging from the network’s daily shows, investigations to technical production. Work includes preparing research materials for correspondent and producers from various sources, setting up interviews, field-producing occasional shoots and interviews, observing and editing NBC News reports for broadcast and online.
- Summer Internship — Telemundo Station Group is a NBCUniversal-Owned Television Station based in Universal City, California. Interns must work on-site and must be fluent in Spanish. Assignments range from research, uploading daily stories, assisting with investigations and finding sources for interviews and story development.
- Summer Internships — Opportunities are available in up to 15 departments at CBS News, including working at “60 Minutes,” “CBS Evening News,” and on the investigative reporting unit. Locations for internships include New York City and Washington, D.C. Work may include newsgathering and reporting, assisting producers and on-air talent, coordinating scripts and conducting preliminary interviews. Applications open on Jan. 2.
- Summer Internship — Are you interested in public broadcasting? Current students and recent graduates can apply for this 12-week summer internship at the largest public broadcasting station in Washington, D.C. Intern schedules may range from full time to part-time, depending on your schedule. Various departments offer internship opportunities at WETA ranging from communications, TV broadcasting, corporate marketing to national outreach.