Be part of a dynamic new North Dakota newsroom and give readers hard-hitting government coverage that connects state policy to the people who live it.
States Newsroom in North Dakota will be dedicated to serving as a government watchdog, covering policy, politics, and other stories of statewide interest. We want reporters who can provide important information to readers about elected officials, how public money is spent, and the ways that policy decisions affect people across the Peace Garden State.
Three reporters will be based in Bismarck or another city that allows them to meaningfully report on how state government affects North Dakotans from Fargo to Williston. They will cover the Legislature, governor’s office, state agencies, elections and other assignments. The reporters will produce daily and enterprise stories, take photos, and share content on social media.
The ideal candidates will know how to track trending topics and hold officials accountable through deep source building and public records requests. The reporting will take readers beyond press releases, providing a deeper understanding of state government. They will tell stories that aren’t being told, bring fresh perspectives to state issues, and amplify the voices of communities that have been marginalized.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on North Dakota state government and officials
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Collaborate with other reporters on projects and to share research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPENSATION
We’re looking for candidates with at least 3 years previous news reporting and/or editing experience (student journalism counts), sound news judgment, flexibility, and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of North Dakota’s political landscape and leaders, previous digital, photography and/or videography experience, and an entrepreneurial spirit are strong assets. States Newsroom journalists are expected to produce at least four posts per week.
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the United States is required.
The salary for these reporting positions starts at $50,000 and rises with experience.
To apply send a cover letter, resume with references, and at least three links or clips to jobs-at-statesnewsroom.com.
For more details click here.