Be part of a dynamic new Maine newsroom and give readers hard-hitting government coverage that connects state policy to the people who live it.
States Newsroom in Maine will be dedicated to serving as a government watchdog, covering policy, politics, and other stories of statewide interest. We want reporters who can provide important information to readers about elected officials, how public money is spent, and the ways that policy decisions affect people all over the Pine Tree State.
Three reporters will be based in Augusta, Portland, or another city that will allow them to meaningfully report on how state government affects Mainers. They will cover the Legislature, governor’s office, state agencies, elections and other assignments. The reporters will produce daily and enterprise stories, take photos, and share content on social media.
The ideal candidates will know how to track trending topics and hold officials accountable through deep source building and public records requests. The reporting will take readers beyond press releases, providing a deeper understanding of state government.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on Maine state government and officials
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Collaborate with other reporters on projects and to share research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPENSATION:
We’re looking for candidates with at least 3 years of previous news reporting and/or editing experience (student journalism counts), sound news judgment, flexibility, and the ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy. Knowledge of Maine’s political landscape and leaders, previous digital, photography and/or videography experience, and an entrepreneurial spirit are strong assets. States Newsroom journalists are expected to produce at least four posts per week.
Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply. Authorization to work in the United States is required. All States Newsroom employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of hire.
The salary for these reporting positions starts at $50,000 and rises with experience.
To apply send a cover letter, resume with references, and at least three links or clips to jobs-at-statesnewsroom.com.
For more details click here.