The reporter will be based in Providence and have an interest in covering education. The ideal candidate will know how to track trending topics and hold officials accountable through deep source building and public records requests. The reporting will take readers beyond press releases, providing a deeper understanding of state government.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS:
- Produce regular, high-quality reporting on Rhode Island government and officials
- Contribute regularly to outlet’s briefs section
- Generate story ideas with the editor
- Pursue story leads, both self-generated and as assigned, with self-direction and solid news judgment
- Approach assignments on deadline with strong communication and follow through with the editor and colleagues
- Collaborate with other reporters on projects and to share research and pertinent knowledge when/if available
- Establish and expand digital media presence representing the outlet and use personal social media to amplify the site’s content, presence and voice
- Take photos and video to illustrate and amplify stories
QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPENSATION:
- We’re looking for candidates with at least 3 years previous news reporting and/or editing experience (student journalism counts)
- Have sound news judgment & flexibility
- The ability to manage ongoing and short-term projects with strong attention to detail and accuracy.
- Knowledge of Rhode Island’s political landscape and leaders
- Previous digital, photography and/or videography experience
- An entrepreneurial spirit are strong assets.
The minimum salary for this position is $50,000 and rises with experience. Relocation stipend will be considered.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply send a cover letter, resume with three professional references and at least three links or clips to jobs-at-statesnewsroom.com.
For further details click here.