Join Stateline as a copy editor and support its work bringing national attention to the impact of state government through in-depth and data-driven reporting.
States Newsroom, the nation’s leading source of hard-hitting state-based reporting and commentary, will soon be the new home of Stateline, the nonprofit news service that reports and analyzes trends in state policy.
The Stateline Copy Editor will be primarily responsible for serving as the final gatekeeper before the publication of Stateline content. The successful candidate will become an integral part of the Stateline team, supporting the journalistic mission of the project by ensuring that articles are accurate and meet our rigorous standards. The senior associate will need to have a fondness for fact-checking, a keen eye for grammar, a good understanding of AP style and story flow, and a collaborative approach to working with reporters, other editors, and our production colleagues.
The Copy Editor can work remotely and will report to Stateline’s executive editor.
- Fact-check all Stateline articles on state policy by verifying public information and double-checking information collected from sources
- Determine whether Stateline stories meet our standards of nonpartisanship and objectivity
- Copy-edit all Stateline articles for spelling, grammar, formatting and adherence to Associated Press Style
- Assist with photo choices, including ensuring proper rights and permissions
- Serve as the primary liaison to the digital production team
- Oversee the design and publication of Stateline graphics. Edit the graphics for clarity and relevance
- This position requires minimal travel to meetings and conferences
- Bachelor’s degree is required, advanced degree preferred
- At least four years of applicable experience; some experience with copy-editing and fact-checking a plus
- Thorough knowledge of Associated Press style
- Acute political awareness and nonpartisan perspective and approach
- Strong intellectual curiosity. Demonstrated interest and skills in researching public policy issues
- Excellent written and oral communications skills. Has a proven track record of working as a member of a team and individually to meet goals
- Ability to juggle multiple priorities, adjust to changing circumstances, organize time efficiently and remain attentive to details
Authorization to work in the United States is required. All States Newsroom employees are required to be fully vaccinated within 30 days of hire.
COMPENSATION: The minimum salary for this position is $75,000 and rises with experience.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume with three references, and samples of published work to jobs<at>statesnewsroom.com by noon Eastern on April 10, 2023.
For more details click here.