States Affairs, a national, digital news site reporting on state legislatures around the country, is seeking a Regional Editor to manage and edit stories produced by our experienced reporters covering state politics across the country.
The Regional Editor will play a vital role in overseeing the editorial operations of State Affairs Pro across four states. The successful candidate will be responsible for managing a team of journalists and ensuring the delivery of compelling, relevant, and accurate news stories to our readership. This position requires a strong journalistic background, exceptional leadership skills, and a passion for delivering impactful local news. A passion for politics is desirable.
The editor should be adept at managing a daily flow of stories to inform and engage readers who are deeply engaged with state politics, including those who work in or closely with state government. The Regional Editor should be able to use audience data to inform news coverage decisions, while evolving content with depth, interactivity and reach through a digital lens.
The position will be based in South Florida and will require some time in a newsroom.
State Affairs is deeply dedicated to nonpartisan news coverage of state governments around the country. We do this through two platforms — State Affairs’ Citizen, for a broad audience; and State Affairs Pro, geared toward policy wonks. The Regional Editor will edit State Affairs Pro copy.
This full-time job with benefits is an in-person position in South Florida, with some opportunities on some days to work from home. Some travel is required. Relocation assistance will be provided.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with other editors, reporters, photographers and audience team members to tell impactful stories across platforms.
- Assist in developing and implementing editorial strategies to enhance audience engagement, increase readership, and drive digital growth.
- Elevates reporters’ stories by seizing opportunities for in-depth enterprise stories including those with statewide, and at times national, reach
- Communicates quickly and effectively with reporters to break news online and follows up when appropriate with more in-depth enterprise pieces
- Demonstrates a high comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real-time and the long-term
- Conceptualize and assign stories aimed at growing paid digital subscriptions, guiding staffers through the reporting process and editing their work with excellent command of grammar, usage and AP style
- Develops the talents of staffers, offering constructive criticism of their work. Coordinates with the editor-in-chief and the production editor and non-editorial departments on projects
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience in journalism, with a background in newsroom management or editorial leadership.
- Proven track record of delivering high-quality, impactful journalism across multiple platforms.
- Deep understanding of the principles of journalism, ethical guidelines, and legal considerations.
- A firm commitment to nonpartisan news coverage
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to inspire, motivate, and develop a diverse team of journalists.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including exceptional editing and storytelling abilities.
- Familiarity with digital publishing platforms, analytics tools, and social media platforms.
SALARY RANGE: $70,000 to $80,000
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume or CV and a cover letter to Alison Bethel, chief content officer and editor-in-chief, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
For more details click here.