STAT, the leading health and science site, is looking for a general assignment reporter who can do it all: jump on breaking news, whip up smart enterprise stories, force institutions to answer tough questions, and deliver compelling profiles. Part of the job will by its nature include coverage of the Covid-19 pandemic, but we’re also looking for a utility player — a candidate who can range widely across topics related to health and science. That might mean reporting on Covid one week and heart disease the next. This reporter will excel at writing about research, and be capable of translating complicated science into crystal-clear prose. Lastly, this reporter should come with ideas, while also being eager to take on assignments.
- Tell smart, compelling stories about health and science, with special attention to groundbreaking technologies and the people behind them.
- Be a key player on a top-notch team producing deep and vital reporting of the life sciences industry.
- Stand ready, along with others on staff, to sub in on our newsletters from time to time.
- A versatile reporter with at least five years experience covering health and science issues.
- A self-starter when it comes to stories, but also collaborative in nature. STAT thrives on a tight-knit, all-hands-on-deck culture and a strong team dynamic.
- Committed to excellence in your reporting.
- A willingness to adapt and be audience focused, with a curious mindset and a commitment to creating an inclusive work environment
The minimum salary for this position is $70,000. We offer a competitive benefits package, including health insurance, a 401k plan, generous vacation, and more. We also provide Care.com back-up care and have numerous wellness offerings, including free access to HeadSpace for all full time employees.
While we’d prefer you to be based in Boston, we also are considering remote candidates who would be willing to spend time at HQ once Covid recedes.
To apply, go here.