Be an integral part of the future of the Standard-Examiner, an award-winning daily newspaper in Northern Utah. This reporting position helps plan and produce engaging stories of both broad, general interest within Ogden and Weber County.
The reporter will become ingrained in the local community, becoming an expert on who’s who and what’s what within our readership footprint. You will have an opportunity to help shape and develop coverage to best serve our readership.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Conducts and/or participates in story, art, photo planning sessions to successfully integrate all elements into effective story packages on a diversity of subjects that are meaningful and helpful to vast numbers of readers.
- A strong knowledge of all social media networking platforms is vital.
An ideal candidate:
- Is a strong representative of the newsroom to the public.
- Produces strong, compelling content, averaging two bylines every workday.
- Is capable of utilizing camera equipment to shoot own photographs on assignments.
- Takes on special projects as requested by supervisors and as developed independently.
- Participates in news and newsroom planning meetings.
- Some evening and weekend shifts may be required, as necessitated by coverage needs.
- Other duties may be assigned as needed.
The ideal candidate will embrace our passion for community journalism and excitement in breaking news situations.
We frequently collaborate with our sister papers, the Daily Herald in Provo and the Park Record in Park City, on stories of statewide interest and implications. Stories from reporters are frequently published in both markets.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Communications or another related field.
- 1-3 years of journalism experience, including freelance and collegiate, are preferred.
- Those with knowledge of Utah – its leaders, cities, topics important to residents and events – will have an advantage.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, journals and data.
- Ability to report on a wide range of stories.
- Proficiency in all social media platforms.
- Ability to multitask and produce content for both print and online.
- Organized with strong time-management skills.
- Natural curiosity and news judgment.
- Ability to dig for and generate stories that are meaningful to the community.
- Ability to befriend and gain the trust of communities, sources and leaders.
Please send resumes to email@example.com.
For further details click here.