The Public Affairs Reporter produces a mix of in-depth and daily news stories on public affairs
issues in Springfield and Greene County. The reporter plays a key role in helping the Springfield
Daily Citizen fulfills its mission to inform the community and be a catalyst for good. The reporter will
develop a broad range of sources, including leaders of local nonprofits, to become a recognized
expert on public affairs topics identified as key issues by the community through local efforts such
as the biennial Community Focus Report for Springfield and Greene County.
- Four-year degree in journalism or related field, or experience commensurate with four-year degree.
- Minimum of 5 years daily journalism or similar experience and demonstrated reporting, editing, & digital content skills.
- Must demonstrate advanced understanding of the skills needed to report and write news and features stories, with a focus on producing clear and concise content to serve an audience using multiple digital platforms.
- Must have advanced knowledge of spelling, grammar and story organization.
- Must be able to generate strong enterprise stories; and must have a proven record of generating ideas for stories.
- Must be able to consistently report and write multi-layered stories that use a multitude of sources.
- Must demonstrate investigative reporting skills and ability to overcome obstacles to get hard-to-gather stories (such as those with reluctant sources).
- Must have ability to manipulate data using Excel or database software; ideally has the capacity to develop advanced skills in database journalism.
- Ability to adapt to a varied workload and varied work days.
- Strong communication skills, including addressing inquiries from readers and the public.
- Strong knowledge of libel, media law, First Amendment and state Sunshine Law.
- Adhere to Daily Citizen standards of ethical conduct.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Works closely with the CEO, Managing Editor and other staff members to formulate and execute the in-depth public affairs coverage plan for the Springfield Daily Citizen.
- Regularly produces two in-depth public affairs stories each month, and one major project each year. Each in-depth story or project should be produced in the “Daily Citizen Way,” including elements to engage citizens across political and social spectrums, encourage discourse, strengthen democracy and/or foster participation as citizens and/or volunteers.
- A typical in-depth report will feature multiple sources and either be explanatory or revealing in nature, and occasionally just fun or entertaining.
- A major report should be multi-layered and data-supported, producing surprising findings or “new” news for Daily Citizen readers; such reports should be designed with community impact in mind.
- Produces 2-3 daily or breaking news stories each week, primarily in core topic areas of recognized expertise.
- Assists other staff as needed in managing the website and related digital products, including email newsletters and social media.
- Supports efforts of the CEO, Chief Development Officer and others to grow readership and revenue.
- Supports community engagement efforts.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Salary: $46,000 to $58,000
For more details click here.