Springfield Biz Journal seeks a reporter
Springfield Business Journal is an award-winning niche publication in southwest Missouri. It reaches subscribers through weekly print and daily digital publications. Most readers are owners, CEOs, partners, general managers or executives, and cite SBJ as their preferred source of business news. Founded in 1980, SBJ is an independent and locally owned small business run by second-generation publisher Jennifer Jackson.
SBJ is seeking a business reporter to add to its newsroom. The ideal candidate will dig deep into the business community to uncover stories and examine trends. We’re looking for a candidate with experience, preferably with an emphasis in business reporting.
- Research and write for the weekly print publication and daily e-newsletters
- Attend bi-weekly Springfield City Council meetings to cover city spending/decisions that impact the business community
- Cover local construction projects through From the Ground Up weekly feature
- Assist with copyediting of online and print stories
- Develop sources among the business community
- Look for enterprising opportunities, reporting series/in-depth pieces
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in journalism or a related field/experience
- Thrives in an autonomous environment
- Nose for news and a dedication to accuracy
- Passion for storytelling
- Commitment to team members and willingness to support others
- Strong communication
- Expertise in AP Style
Provide cover letter, resume, references and samples of work. Email to Executive Editor Christine Temple, firstname.lastname@example.org. No calls, please.