Silicon Valley Biz Journal seeks a managing editor
The Silicon Valley Business Journal is looking for a Managing Editor to serve as the newsroom’s chief operating officer. While the ME oversees and ensures the smooth flow of content from conception to publishing on all platforms, the ideal candidate is particularly adept at and has a particular passion for digital excellence.
As the newsroom’s most hands-on manager and coach of reporters, the ME brings ideas, inspiration, and guidance to the staff, and actively directs the deployment of resources online, in email, in print and on social media.
The ME reports to the Editor in Chief.
• Employ whip smart news judgment and a solid news sense.
• Make smart snap judgments about how best to tell stories.
• Manage both people and content exceedingly well.
• Motivate and help our newsroom tell compelling stories.
• Inspire, motivate and mentor reporters, editors and other staff members.
• Keep the newsroom organized, on time and on the rails.
• Embrace and manage growth and change.
• Believe that serving your audience is a newsroom’s chief responsibility.
• Communicate exceptionally well.
• Create a collegial, collaborative newsroom culture and vibe.
• Proven interest in and aptitude for team leadership (even when you’re not officially the leader).
• Ability to coach talented reporters and visual journalists.
• Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment.
• Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporting and story development.
• Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects.
• Ease working in a rapid-fire digital environment and on social media.
• Weekly print experience in a business news operation a plus.
Minimum of 10 years in a newsroom
Beat reporting experience required
Management experience preferred
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals