Seattle biz journal seeks editor
Seattle’s Puget Sound Business Journal, the award-winning business news leader in the great Northwest, is seeking an editor in chief. This is a Pulitzer-nominee newsroom that thrives under exceptional leadership.
The editor in chief, as the highest ranking newsroom leader, is responsible for driving product strategy and quality across all platforms and for relentlessly building audience. The EIC must be equally at home in both the print and digital spheres, but leadership and innovation must be particularly pronounced on digital platforms. To be successful, the EIC must have well-honed hard news instincts, a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand and be equal parts leader, entrepreneur and marketer.
- Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and voice of our portfolio of products, including the existing print newspaper, daily emails, website, tablet and mobile.
- Drive staff adaptation to new mediums, platforms, skill sets, story forms, and ways of doing things.
- Take a proactive, hands-on approach in developing and leading reporting staff.
- Share responsibility for growing print, digital and event audiences. Work with other department heads to create business and marketing plans. In collaboration with the publisher, identify and address new business and audience opportunities to extend the brand.
- Seek content syndication channels and partnerships for content.
- Meet or exceed goals relating to audience-engagement.
- Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of the Business Journal in the Seattle area.
- Inspiring and diplomatic
- Innovative, curious, collaborative
- Passionate and knowledgeable about businesses topics and coverage
- Able to lead a high-performance newsroom driven by excellence
- Good communicator who can build on a strong newsroom culture
- Must be able to thrive in rapidly changing and uncharted media environment
- Management and/or team leadership experience required
- Daily, and, preferably, weekly print experience for a business news operation
- Experience working in a digital news environment
- Beat reporter experience
Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
If this describes you, send your resume and an excellent cover letter to applySeattle@bizjournals.com