Savannah Morning News seeks a growth and development reporter
The Savannah Morning News/savannahnow.com, part of the USA Today Network, is seeking a reporter to cover growth and development.
Savannah and Chatham County are among the fastest growing areas in Georgia, as the population centers continue to expand. Residential and business growth have made the coastal Georgia area a hotbed for real estate, tourism-related businesses and corporate development.
The Savannah Morning News strives to be the first to inform readers with breaking news and analysis related to our growth.
This is more than a business beat. The right candidate will be able to spot trends, connect dots and tell bigger stories about how the economic engines of this region are impacting Savannah and its residents.
This reporter is expected to file public records requests and mine data for enterprise stories. This reporter also works closely with our city and county government reporters for story tips and ideas. We want this reporter to also explore issues related to affordable housing, public transportation, racial equity and neighborhood sustainability.
- Creates storytelling that accurately informs, entertains and engages specific audiences and platforms through the use of metrics.
- Works toward becoming the community’s leading voice in area of expertise.
- Weekly business and development updates.
- Connects with the community through storytelling and outreach (social media, on camera, forums, community leadership, etc.) Takes on a leadership role with our What’s New in Spartanburg? Facebook Group.
- Works with editors and content strategists to evaluate what’s working and what’s not and develops ongoing plans to better satisfy audience needs.
- Collaborates to provide all appropriate elements for stories (i.e., Photos, videos and graphics). Captures basic photos and video as needed.
- Provides great customer service, helping readers find answers and solutions.
- Use digital analytics to guide content decisions.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, journalism or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience writing investigative or solutions-oriented journalism.
- Proficiency on social media platforms; including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit and Snap Chat.
- Experience shooting and editing photos and video on an iPhone.
- Strong communication skills, news judgement and headline-writing ability.
- Ability to multitask and excel under intense deadline pressure.
- Ability to work collaboratively and efficiently.
- Strong writing, spelling and grammar skills; familiarity with AP style.
- Able to work occasional nights and weekends.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a pre-employment, post-offer drug screen and background check.
To apply, go here.