The San Francisco Standard has a full-time opening for a talented and experienced business editor to join our innovative, fast-paced digital news team in San Francisco. The ideal candidate will have a strong understanding of the Bay Area business landscape, with experience covering topics such as real estate, banking, technology, and Silicon Valley.
The business editor will lead a team of four to six reporters and be responsible for overseeing the production of all business-related content for our website and other platforms. This includes developing story ideas, assigning stories to reporters, editing articles and managing the overall editorial process, keeping in mind not just words but data and visuals as well.
Our ideal candidate should be able to identify and develop story ideas that have the potential to be of interest to an audience not just in the Bay Area but across California or even nationally. They should also be able to motivate and inspire their team to produce high-quality, informative content that scoops the competition and delivers insights other outlets have overlooked.
The business editor will coordinate and collaborate with our photographers, videographers and social media editors, data journalists and other teams in the newsroom, to develop compelling story packages. The editor will also help us conceive and execute new business-related features and products for our most loyal readers to enhance engagement and loyalty.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- 5+ years of experience as a business editor or reporter
- Strong understanding of the Bay Area business landscape
- Experience covering topics such as real estate, banking, technology, and Silicon Valley
- Excellent writing and editing skills and command of AP style
- Strong news judgment and ability to identify and develop story ideas
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- A commitment to accuracy and journalistic integrity
- Skills in mapping, data visualization, and other related skills are a plus
This job may require night and/or weekend work.
We are an in-office company and the role thus requires physical presence in the Bay Area. We offer very competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
The pay range for this role is $110,000 to $170,000. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate. We encourage you to apply even if you don’t fit the preferred qualifications of the job.
To apply, go here.