San Francisco Business Times seeks a special projects editor
San Francisco Business Times is looking for an editor to handle special projects.
If you love news and you love people, this is the job for you. If you like to plan and then plan some more, this job is for you. If you come up with new ideas in your sleep, this job is for you.
Like many news organizations, the Business Times is producing more and more events to connect us with readers and readers to each other. It’s one of the many ways we connect readers in the Bay Area business community. We are looking for a creative person who knows a good story when you hear one to oversee all editorial components of our events. You will ensure the quality, integrity and accuracy of all content for about 10 annual signature events, which include Best Places to Work, Most Influential Women and Fastest-Growing Companies. Please be aware: This is not an event production or marketing position. The successful candidate will be part of our newsroom and report to the Editor-in-Chief.
You will oversee our event content on several platforms, including print, digital and multimedia. You must know the established and up-and-coming players in Bay Area business. You must be highly creative. You must be detail-oriented and disciplined and able to work in a fast-paced environment, as you often will be working on two or three projects at once.
• Oversee all news content related to events, including special publications, digital packages and multimedia presentations
• Plan and conceive editorial and event special projects – print section, online content, videos, scripts and overall presentation for events
• Assign all content for editorial and event special projects, including stories, photos, graphics and data packages
• Work with other departments to ensure event schedules, nomination processes, selection of honorees and day-of content for the event meet the high editorial standards of the San Francisco Business Times.
• Develop and manage stable of freelancers to create top-notch content for event products
• Assist other newsroom leaders in managing the day-to-day coverage of the Bay Area when needed
• Assign all weekly Executive Profiles for our print edition, ensuring we are interviewing high-level people with a focus on gender, racial, geographic and industry diversity
• Meet all deadlines
• Must be available for evening events
• Exceptional editor, proofreader, reporter and writer
• Able to guide, contribute to and lead large-scale editorial projects
• Good at multitasking all the time without losing track of anything or losing your mind
• Able to use social media as a newsgathering and dissemination tool
Two to four years in an editing, management and/or team leadership role
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
To apply, send a resume, cover letter and examples of your most enterprising work to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals, firstname.lastname@example.org