The San Antonio Report, a nonprofit news outlet in the country’s seventh-largest city, is seeking a versatile and enterprising reporter to cover the business beat. The San Antonio Report offers competitive pay, full benefits and generous paid time off, and also embraces a collaborative work culture.
San Antonio’s business and technology landscape is diverse with large corporations like USAA, Valero Energy and H-E-B, to technology startups and small family-owned ventures. San Antonio is in a constant tug-of-war between wanting to establish itself as a destination for major business, technology and entrepreneurship while also holding true to the culture that makes the city unique. We are looking for a reporter who can recognize these nuances while going beyond the press release to tell stories of entrepreneurship, emerging trends and key figures in the business community. This reporter will need to be comfortable talking to CEOs, government officials, small business owners and grassroots activists.
This beat includes coverage of emerging local manufacturing sectors, the tourism and hospitality sector, health care sectors and cybersecurity industry.
The ideal candidate will be skilled at producing both spot news stories and longer, in-depth pieces as well as contributing to broader newsroom-wide reporting projects. This reporter will be asked to integrate themselves into the vast business and technology community to cultivate sources and break news. The business beat is a unique opportunity for a savvy reporter to make it their own and help craft a coverage model that gives readers a better understanding of the successes and challenges within San Antonio’s business landscape.
- Strong reporting skills, with at least three years’ experience in a newsroom with specific experience covering business, technology and entrepreneurialism preferred.
- An understanding of financial reporting documents and the ability to source documents and research to aid in reporting.
- Proven ability to write well-organized, accurate copy on tight deadlines while also conceiving and pursuing long-term projects or stories.
- Strong writing skills with proven ability to explain San Antonio’s unique challenges as it relates to attracting top talent, businesses and entrepreneurs.
- Willingness to work closely with editors and other colleagues in shaping the best stories for our audience.
- Schedule flexibility (some nights, weekend work)
- Spanish proficiency is a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
The San Antonio Report is San Antonio’s leading local online news source. Nonprofit and nonpartisan, the site is open to all readers, with no paywall or registration required. We are committed to earning readers’ time and trust by providing useful and informative news, insights and perspectives they won’t find anywhere else, always aiming to spur interest and action in the community around us. We are highly engaged with our community and host events throughout the year with city thought leaders and officials. We’re a small and close-knit staff that genuinely enjoys each other’s company at work and away from the office.
This is a full-time, exempt position and is based in San Antonio, TX.
The minimum starting salary for this position is $45,000 and is commensurate with experience and skill set. Some of the benefits employees enjoy are generous personal time off, nine paid holidays, health benefits, a 401(k) plan, and paid parental leave.
If this sounds like the place and position for you, please send a cover letter, resume and list of three references to: email@example.com and include “Business Reporter” in the email subject line.