The San Antonio Express-News has an opening for a creative meteorologist to join a new weather science team operating within the newsroom. The Newsroom Meteorologist will write daily forecasts for the greater San Antonio-Austin region and be the scientific expert on the team, focused on explaining complex weather concepts in writing to a general audience in an engaging and smart manner.
The Newsroom Meteorologist will embrace experimentation in new formats for local news and weather information while developing an original voice and pushing the boundaries of traditional text-based storytelling. Qualified candidates will be comfortable reporting their own forecasts and weather-related stories and helping team members bring their ideas to life. Communication and collaboration skills will be vital, as will the understanding that establishing an editing process is key to the team’s success.
The person in this role will create daily text-based content and likely contribute to audio, video, social and graphics-driven work. This is not an on-camera position in the broadcast sense though the meteorologist’s work may include social video appearances.
What the Newsroom Meteorologist will do:
- Prepare forecasts and write stories from meteorological data gathered by satellites, forecast models and radar.
- Report on breaking weather news as it happens.
- Be an ambassador for the team as it launches and grows, engaging with readers and outside media.
- Contribute to products such as a newsletter and “live updates” content.
- Collaborate with the team to develop weather graphics, maps, tools and charts.
- Provide support, consultation and expertise to newsroom reporters, editors and leadership during major weather events and on complex weather and climate stories.
What it will take to be successful:
- Ability to explain science clearly and quickly as a voice of authority during events such as hurricanes, flooding, fires and storms.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in meteorology or a related field.
- Experience communicating complex weather events to the general public.
- Experience writing in the Area Forecast Discussion style.
- Judgment of when to shift plans and put an emphasis on public safety ahead of severe weather events.
- Ability to publish effectively across channels, including social media, newsletters and news stories.
- Openness to building relationships with NWS meteorologists in San Antonio-Austin and neighboring forecast offices.
- Background in journalism, blogging or scientific writing.
- Experience with audio or video reporting is a plus.
- AMS certification is a plus.
- NWS experience a plus.
- This position is full time.
- Weekend and evening work may be required as news warrants.
- A minimum of two years working on a forecasting team.
- The successful candidate must be based in the San Antonio area or willing to move to the region.
Interested applicants should email a resume and cover letter to Jennifer.Chang@houstonchronicle.com
For further information click here.