The San Antonio Business Journal is looking for an Editor-in-Chief to lead a talented newsroom in one of the country’s most dynamic, innovative and fast-paced business communities.
As the highest-ranking newsroom leader, the EIC is responsible for driving newsroom culture, product strategy and quality journalism across all platforms. The EIC will lead the news team to relentlessly build an engaged audience. They must be equally at home in both print and digital, with pronounced leadership and innovation on digital platforms.
To be successful, the EIC must have well-honed hard news instincts, a burning curiosity about business and people, a deft editing hand, and be equal parts leader, entrepreneur and marketer. A passion for great journalism, deep source building and original breaking news, and an ability to guide and mentor a news team to perform to high standards, will lead the right person to join the ranks of the best newsroom leaders in our company.
It is important that our EIC connects to the community, knows the top and emerging business sectors and companies, and actively builds a network of sources and contacts among business influencers. By being out in the community and actively meeting with sources, the EIC will have a hand on the issues, the pulse, the rise and fall of business sectors, the most active companies and the people who lead them. The EIC sets the standard for how an exceptional newsroom operates.
Define a clear and compelling vision for the look, feel and voice of our news products, including a thriving digital news operation, a compelling weekly print edition, daily emails, impactful special content packages and, in many cases, the events that link to them.
• Guide, develop and mentor reporting staff, and communicate high expectations and feedback regularly and with clarity.
• Ensure that strong, engaging visual elements including photo, video and graphic, are well incorporated into storytelling platforms.
• Own the growth of digital and print audiences. Understand the metrics, and how to interpret them.
• Meet or exceed goals relating to audience growth and engagement.
• Lead staff adaptation to new platforms, skill sets, story forms, and ways of doing things.
• Innovate, bring ideas and employ an entrepreneurial mindset, working with other department heads to create new products and other business opportunities.
• In collaboration with the publisher, identify and address new business, event and audience opportunities to extend the brand.
• Embrace community and business outreach as an ambassador of the Business Journal.
• Speak to business groups and other relevant audiences on behalf of the Business Journal.
• In collaboration with the publisher, develop, assemble and moderate high-level panel discussions on topics of interest to the Business Journal audience.
• Inspiring, motivating, and a solid communicator able to foster a strong newsroom mission and culture.
• Passionate about covering local business news.
• Innovative, collaborative, seriously curious.
• Knowledgeable about business topics and growth sectors.
• Enamored by local business news and curious about the people behind the companies and deals.
• Able to lead and drive growth in a newsroom with varying levels of experience.
• Able to thrive in a rapidly changing and uncharted media environment.
• Innovator who brings new ideas to help grow the San Antonio Business Journal.
• A minimum of 15 years in a newsroom
• Proven success in newsroom management and team leadership positions
• Digital news chops
• Line editing grit
• Beat reporting experience a must.
• Business journal editing and leadership experience a definite plus.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, go here.