Sacramento Biz Journal seeks a reporter
Sacramento Business Journal is looking for a reporter who can marry strong traditional journalism skills – source building, sharp news judgment, interviewing prowess, strong analytical and investigative reporting, clear writing, document use – with online and social media know-how. Whatever the platform, this reporter will produce content that is accompanied by perspective and context for our influential and growing audience of business owners, executives and professionals in California’s capital region.
A Business Journal reporter is expected to contribute both daily online posts and long-form print stories to our news products. Scoops matter. A lot.
Essential skills include:
- Proven excellence in reporting and writing
- Desire and ability to break news and to identify newsworthy events and sources
- Strong analytical and investigative-interviewing skills
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Ability to relate comfortably to a wide range of people, in person, on the phone and online
- A clear drive to develop sources and build audience
- Clear knowledge of courts and legal filings
- Solid understanding of news writing, journalistic ethics and story structure.
- Ability to leverage relationships with sources to deliver content that differentiates the organization from competitors.
- Multimedia skills, including video, photos, broadcast, on-camera, helpful.
- Minimum of 1-3 years of reporting experience.
- Proven experience building, maintaining and engaging an active audience.
- Proven experience building and maintaining a strong source base.
- Knowledge of business principles essential.
- Sacramento community experience a plus.
B.A. journalism or equivalent work experience
To apply, email a resume, cover letter and links to clips that best show enterprise and scoops reporting to Adam Steinhauer, Editor, Sacramento Business Journal, email@example.com