The Sacramento Business Journal is looking for a Managing Editor to serve as the newsroom’s chief operating officer. While the ME oversees and ensures the smooth flow of content from conception to publishing on all platforms, the ideal candidate is particularly adept at and has a particular passion for digital excellence.
As the newsroom’s most hands-on manager and coach of reporters, the ME brings ideas, inspiration, and guidance to the staff, and actively directs the deployment of resources online, on mobile, in email, print and on social. The ME reports directly to the Editor in Chief.
• Proven interest in and aptitude for team leadership (even when you’re not officially the leader)
• Ability to coach talented reporters and visual journalists
• Comfortable operating in rapidly changing media environment
• Strong wordsmith who has demonstrated a talent for reporting and story development
• Hands-on experience in guiding and contributing to large-scale editorial projects
• Ease working in a digital environment and on social media
• Weekly print experience in a business news operation a plus
• Strong news judgment and a solid news sense
• An ability to make snap judgments about how best to tell stories
• An aptitude for managing both people and content
• An interest in inspiring, motivating and mentoring reporters, editors and other staff members
• Keen organizational skills
• A strong desire for growth and change
• Belief that serving your audience is a newsroom’s chief responsibility
• Exceptional communication skills
• A drive to create a collegial, collaborative newsroom culture and vibe.
Minimum of 5 years as a beat reporter and/or editor in a vibrant newsroom
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
To apply, send a resume and cover letter to Beth Hunt, director of editorial recruiting and development, American City Business Journals