Do you want to cover news from the leading edge of health care, medical research and biotech? Rochester, Minnesota, one hour south of the Twin Cities metro, is home to Mayo Clinic, U.S. News and World Report’s top hospital six years running. Here you will find a vibrant high-tech industry, with biomedical and other companies spun off from Mayo and Rochester’s second-leading private employer, IBM.
In short, this community of 120K has the business-sector punching power of a million-plus metro. The stories you’d tell here would be powerful and unique.
The Post Bulletin is the leading media organization in this corner of the state, and you would be its Business Editor. About one-third of your time would be spent on editing and leadership tasks, and the remaining two-thirds would be spent getting stories alongside two other star veteran reporters. Business is a high-readership content area where we have chosen to focus our efforts.
We want a good storyteller in this role, and you’d lead our team with regular, in-depth “wow” content from the health/medical/tech sector. The ideal candidate will be a good fit in a newsroom full of smart, egoless high performers who work together like family (the good kind).
We are a digital-first newsroom. So, we think a lot about how to best serve our readers, and measure the results of our work. We’d like you to have a strong interest in digital storytelling, data and enterprise reporting, and you’ll know (or quickly learn) how to use readership data to form your approach to coverage.
You would be the leader of our business reporting team. We are looking for someone who will be active and visible in the community, make connections and find undiscovered story topics to pursue.
Rochester boasts an educated and loyal readership with high expectations for news coverage, and the community is increasingly diverse, with more than 80 languages spoken in the public school system.
Next year, the Post Bulletin will celebrate 150 years since our founding. Today, we publish seven daily editions online, twice weekly in print. And we operate around the clock at our website, www.postbulletin.com.
The Post Bulletin is part of Forum Communications Co., a family-owned network of more than 35 news, niche and broadcast media brands based in Fargo, N.D. While other media companies are cutting back, we’re investing in content and adding to our reporting staff. Not one journalist was cut from any of our newsrooms during the pandemic. Join us as we show the world what a successful media company looks like.
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree in journalism, with at least one to three years of experience preferred.
- Those without team leadership experience who have a relevant combination of reporting experience and education may be considered.
- A strong knowledge of AP style, along with excellent grammar and spelling skills is required.
- Candidates must also be able to multitask in a fast-paced newsroom, be resourceful and provide ideas that our readers will find interesting and compelling.
- Applicants must possess a reliable vehicle covered with acceptable insurance and a valid driver’s license with a record insurable by the company.
To apply, go here.