Rivard Report seeks tech reporter
The Rivard Report is San Antonio’s leading local online news source. We were founded and named by veteran San Antonio journalist Robert Rivard, who serves as the editor and publisher.
We are a nonprofit and nonpartisan daily outlet that covers local government, business and development, education, arts and entertainment, health, technology, and the environment and provides updates to our audience via our website and social media several times a day. We do not have a paywall and compete with major outlets for stories while also providing original reporting to tell stories no one else is covering.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Rivard Report is seeking a full-time business reporter to cover the technology and cybersecurity industries in the third-largest metro area in Texas. This growing, thriving city is home to Rackspace, a major player in the managed cloud space, H-E-B, USAA, Southwest Research Institute, and numerous tech and cybersecurity businesses and startups, with an established private-public ecosystem of support organizations to attract and support more entrepreneurs. The U.S Air Force and National Security Agency operate major intelligence-gathering and cyber missions here, and many veterans emerging from military service launch their own tech and cyber startups in San Antonio.
We are seeking a smart, energetic, experienced reporter with initiative and creativity to cover the civilian and military tech, cyber sectors, and the intersections between medical devices, robotics, and biotechnology, as well as break news about others that are considering locating in San Antonio. The ideal candidate will have reported on tech/cyber issues, and will have a sophisticated understanding of the way these companies operate, their business models, and how they adjust to constant change in their industries.
As a key part of our digital news team, this reporter will be expected both to break news and to produce enterprise stories on the tech beat. We want a reporter who does that through traditional business/tech beat reporting, data reporting, and storytelling about leading tech/cybersecurity companies and players. We also want a reporter with strong general assignment reporting and writing skills who occasionally may be asked to contribute to major breaking news stories on other topics.
· Strong reporting skills, with at least three years’ experience in a newsroom covering business and industry, with specific experience covering high-tech and cybersecurity.
· Proven ability to write well-organized, accurate copy on tight deadlines while also conceiving and pursuing long-term projects or stories.
· Strong writing skills, with proven ability to explain the complicated and sophisticated topics related to high-tech/cybersecurity.
· Willingness to work closely with editors (and other colleagues) in shaping the best stories for our audience.
· Schedule flexibility (nights, weekends).
· Spanish fluency is a plus.
· Bachelor’s degree in journalism or related field.
The Rivard Report offers competitive pay, full benefits and generous paid time off. We are an outlet that is highly engaged with our community and often hosts events throughout the year with city thought leaders and officials.
If this sounds like the place and position for you, please send a cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.