Reuters seeks two desk editors in Toronto
Reuters is looking for two ambitious Desk Editors for our fast-paced, round-the-clock Global News Desk. Expect to work alongside award-winning journalists in an international news organization long recognized for its commitment to accuracy and fairness. Play a role helping us evolve digitally to stand out from the crowd for everything from business to world events.
The roles will be based in Toronto, though we are willing to consider other locations in Canada. You will be expected to work some weekend and late shifts.
The successful candidates must be experienced journalists adept at crafting and honing stories that span geographies, industries and markets, from scoops and breaking news to quick-turn analyses and investigations. The position demands an understanding of the needs of our wide audience, from financial and professional clients to the world’s biggest media organizations and digital publishers, and a willingness to help lead us to new readers.
Reuters news is read and seen by more than a billion people every day. We are looking for an editor who can work with our reporters across the globe to produce distinctive journalism in the most compelling formats. Join us and help tell the world’s most important stories.
About the Role
As a Desk Editor, you will:
- Edit stories seen by Reuters specialist and general audiences
- Enforce our high standards for accuracy, brevity, clarity, fair comment, impartiality and sourcing
- Produce clean, engaging stories at speed as you will likely be called upon to take copy from reporters and write or edit major breaking stories
- Experiment with story formats and tools, working not only as a copy editor but also as a content curator who can pull together a rich package of video, pictures, graphics and text stories
- Write sharp headlines, ledes and nut grafs
- Spot gaps in our coverage and work with news editors to fill them
You’re a fit for the role of Desk Editor, if you likely have:
- Five or more years of journalism experience as a reporter or production editor, ideally in a broad range of areas including financial news
- Fast and accurate writing skills; superb copy editing skills, including with complex and legally and socially sensitive stories
- Strong digital and multimedia expertise and familiarity with the needs of a digital audience; experience optimizing stories for search (SEO) and other platforms, as well as an understanding of analytics are a plus
- Experience in using and monitoring social media for breaking news events or major stories
- Ability to cover topics for multiple audiences, including pitching stories and new story formats
- Strong news judgment and ability to shape a story by asking smart questions and challenging premises
- Calmness under pressure; ability to make quick and sound decisions in a fast-paced environment
- Good communication skills and strong team ethic
- Experience editing newsletters (preferred)
- Experience covering business topics (preferred)
To apply, go here.