Reuters is looking for an experienced, knowledgeable and motivated senior journalist to cover Australian and New Zealand, which are home to some of Asia’s biggest companies and multi-billion dollar acquisition deals.
The successful candidate will cover the $90 billion Australasia market comprising Australia and New Zealand for Loan Pricing Corp, IFR and Reuters newswire, breaking news and writing analysis for all Thomson Reuters brands, including real-time services and publications.
Australasia is the among the biggest contributors to loan volumes in Asia. The private nature of the loan market means that well-connected journalists are able to break exclusive news on jumbo M&A deals and play a leading role in many of the region’s biggest corporate finance, debt capital markets, banking and regulatory stories.
Recent high-profile stories include M&A and leveraged buyout situations and related financings such as the acquisition of Rio Tinto’s Kestrel coking coal mine in Queensland, I-Med, Australia’s largest medical imaging network, and vitamin company Nature’s Care Manufacture. Thematic stories include challenges for Australia’s major banks amid the tightening regulatory scrutiny and the rise of institutional investors in the loan markets as well as Green financings.
We are looking for a flexible reporter with strong people and communication skills who is comfortable talking to senior loan bankers. The successful candidate will be able to work independently to develop strong relationships with IFR and Reuters colleagues and liaise across teams on crossover stories.
- Breaking news on Thomson Reuters LPC and IFR’s real time services and Reuters wire
- Ensuring a daily flow of information on new deals – pricing, terms, allocations and themes – is covered in a timely and efficient manner across the products
- Proactive approach to generating content written for expert and non-expert clients
- Establishing and maintaining close contact with Asian and international banks, lawyers, analysts, treasurers and government officials
- Exercising sound news judgment on what moves markets and why
- At least five years experience in finance or media
- Relevant financial reporting experience, newswire experience a plus
- Track record of breaking news and excellent writing and analytical skills to interpret fact and opinion
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
- General knowledge of companies, financial markets, investment banking and macroeconomics
- Solid organisational, communication and interpersonal skills
To apply, go here.