Reuters seeks media and consumer desk deputy editor
Job Title: Media and Consumer Desk Deputy Editor (New York, NY)
Job Duties: Responsible for leading team of desk editors to identify major stories of interest to media and consumer clients and assign, write, curate and edit.
1. Identify major stories for media and consumer clients and ensure those stories are written and edited with urgency, accuracy and balance, and are presented in the most digestible and attractive formats;
2. Lead desk editors who will edit, curate and produce smart, fast, contextual and analytical content – such as Explainers, Timelines and Factboxes – to help explain the events, people and institutions;
3. Collaborate with video, pictures, graphics and digital colleagues on breaking stories and plan for major events;
4. Help ensure NewsPlanner entries are entered as far in advance as possible so media clients can include Reuters in coverage plans;
5. Review sensitive stories and uphold journalistic standards, escalating when needed to senior editors or legal
6. Maintain journalistic ethics against stories that don’t meet our standards, that lack audience or impact;
7. Ensure consistency in editing standards globally by maintaining good day-to-day desk relations with bureaus and reporting teams, developing desk talent, managing performance, and building diverse teams;
8. Participate in news planning meetings to understand global news priorities and communicate them to teams;
9. Review competitor stories to ensure we are best-in-class;
10. Work with Media and Consumer Desk Editors and Day Editors to ensure a smooth handover between editing hubs on major stories.
[Will supervise 3 Desk Editors’ work]
Position Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent/or an equivalent based on a combination of education as determined by a professional evaluation service) in Journalism or related field plus 5 years’ experience in wire service journalism.
Experience must include:
1) 5 years’ experience in newsroom management;
2) 5 years’ experience with international reporting to include 3 years’ experience reporting on Latin American issues;
3) 3 years’ experience with legal and ethical implications of stories.
To apply, go here.