Reuters is seeking a focused, driven journalist with a passion for breaking news to join our U.S. team covering the global energy supply crisis, the impact of sanctions on Russia on global crude and fuel markets as well as the United States’ role as the world’s top consumer of oil and one of its biggest producers. This is a position for a reporter who can move effortlessly from covering physical cash and futures energy markets and industry spot news, to long-term enterprise stories on international energy flows, trading strategies, boardroom upheaval and investment trends across the sector.
Energy policy is evolving rapidly as many countries move toward cleaner fuels and as governments seek to contain the political impact of high oil prices and tight fuel supplies on inflation and consumer spending. The successful candidate will need to play their part in ensuring Reuters wins the biggest stories impacting the trade flows of the world’s most traded commodity. You will deliver breaking news on oil production, consumption, transportation, storage, exports and imports.
We need a reporter who can produce enterprising scoops, shed light on the opaque energy market, and develop deep sourcing in a secretive industry. The candidate should have strong team skills and be keen to turn their hand across the entire range of commodities coverage as part of a strong, competitive reporting squad that has a hard-won reputation for producing agenda-setting coverage for both our core energy and commodity market users, as well as for our media, investor and financial professional audience. Our regional energy correspondents are based in New York, Houston, Canada and Latin America so the ability to work in a virtual team is essential.
About the Role
As our U.S. Energy Market Reporter (Level 1 Journalist), you will:
- Provide top-quality coverage of physical and future oil markets and break the most important news in those markets
- Bring original ideas for initiative stories
- Be a strong all-round journalist comfortable breaking news and filing at speed as well as working on long-form pieces
- Work closely with the global oil markets team
- Be based in New York or Houston
To be our U.S. Energy Market Reporter (Level 1 Journalist), you will ideally have:
- At least two years of experience covering energy, preferably with experience in physical crude or fuel market coverage
- A proven ability to break news
- A track record developing deep sources, and reporting and writing both long- and short-form stories
- Strong news judgment, ability to write with speed, clarity and accuracy
- The ability to clearly explain complex industry subjects to a wide audience as well as to a financially sophisticated reader
- Proven ability to work closely and collaboratively as part of a diverse, driven team spanning multiple regions. Reporters preferring to strike out alone need not apply for this position
To apply, go here.