Reuters is looking for a scoop-driven and tenacious correspondent to break stories on France’s largest M&A deals and its banking industry.
It’s an intense beat covering a sector where decisions on sensitive transactions and key restructurings are closely scrutinized by the government, but one that will give the successful candidate the opportunity to produce exclusive work that helps set the finance team news agenda. The outcome of the French presidential election in April along with the country’s role in supporting Ukraine is expected to have a deep impact on deal-making and business policy in the euro zone’s second biggest economy. M&A is one of the newsiest, most market-sensitive parts of Reuters’ financial file and requires investigative skills and exceptional source-building talent to win the trust of France’s cozy network of bankers, corporate lawyers and business people.
As a France M&A and Banking Correspondent at Reuters, you will:
- Regularly land scoops on the biggest M&A deals in France, working as part of Reuters’ global team of M&A and banking correspondents.
- Break news on the political and regulatory hurdles that major deals typically face
- Cover the country’s biggest banks, particularly BNP Paribas, which has injected vital lifelines into jittery companies during the Covid crisis and is now using its lending platform to further its ambition of becoming Europe’s dominant investment bank.
- Be a team player and meticulously source stories and follow deals throughout their lifecycle.
- Cut through the noise to see the bigger picture in both banking and deal-making
To be our France M&A and Banking Correspondent, you will likely have:
- An ability to break major market-moving news on M&A deals, private equity auctions, initial public offerings and debt restructurings
- Understanding of the banking industry and ability to break stories on French banks and major strategy plans, job cuts, relocations, bonuses and fees
- First class source-building skills and a good base of existing relationships with bankers and investors
- Excellent interviewing technique for secretive bankers and tenacity in confirming tips and market rumours
- An ability to cover stories in a timely fashion
- First-class news judgement and ability to spot trends, generate innovative story ideas and write them with accuracy in accordance with Reuters standards
- An ability to explain complex deals and debt restructurings in a way that works for both an audience of investment bankers and Reuters media clients
- French language skills are preferred
Please note, the deadline for applications is Friday 18th November 2022.
To apply, go here.