Reuters is looking for an experienced and creative News Applications Editor to help us drive digital transformation and innovation that enhances our journalism and the way we deliver it to financial, agency and consumer customers. The ideal candidate will have a strong background in journalism, a track record of innovation, and deep experience in building dynamic, data-driven applications such as trackers, dashboards and digital storytelling vehicles. We seek an experienced people manager and an effective collaborator, one who is just as at ease working with news reporters and editors as with technologists.
Using Reuters platforms and technology resources along with the global reach of our reporting, the News Applications Editor will find unique opportunities to innovate the way we collect, analyze and present essential information to our media clients and readers. This editor will be driven by many of the same goals as our journalists but also acutely aware of how automation, scalability and smart templating via code can multiply our journalism’s footprint and make Reuters essential to our customers.
The ideal candidate will excel at evaluating newsroom processes and goals and at communicating how they can be improved with efficient software development. Applicants also should have the technical skills to build, test and deploy the code that does the job.
About the Role
As our News Application Editor, you will:
- Clearly understand the newsroom’s editorial goals and collaborate with reporters and editors to build innovative digital products that deliver essential information to financial, agency and consumer customers.
- Identify and choose the projects that have the highest value for the time we put into them.
- Multiply the impact of our journalism by way of automation, scalability and smart code templating that maximizes efficiency.
- Liaise with our technology teams to make sure the newsroom’s technical architecture is built securely and is stable to last for the duration and at the scale of its need.
You’re a fit for the role News Applications Editor if you have:
- At least 3 years of experience as a people manager, preferably in a newsroom
- At least 5 years of experience working in or alongside editorial teams and comfort working with newsroom deadlines.
- At least 3 years of experience building and maintaining software applications that served an editorial function.
- Experience and comfort building both durable infrastructure and temporary stacks for fast-moving projects.
- Experience designing, deploying and maintaining relational databases and developing scalable pipelines to process and transform raw data.
- Track record of writing well-tested code that is clearly documented and can be easily iterated on by other developers.
- Experience deploying and maintaining scalable cloud infrastructure in AWS or another cloud service provider.
- Experience with infrastructure as code frameworks like Serverless, Terraform, AWS CDK or others.
- Familiarity across some of the languages and front-end frameworks journalists in our newsroom use, including any of: R, Node.js, Python, Django, Svelte & React.
To apply, go here.